About Doug Colvard:
Doug Colvard is a lawyer with Fourscore Business Law and primarily practices in the areas of corporate and business law. Prior to joining in 2018, Doug worked for several years in the financial services industry, focusing primarily in the derivatives and prime brokerage space before leaving to join Fourscore. Prior to his legal career, Doug worked at a venture-backed startup, in investment banking, and was an educational consultant.
Doug advises and assists enterprises ranging from start-ups, middle-market companies, and multi-national corporations across a broad range of industries including finance, technology, healthcare, manufacturing, advertising, and software to name a few. Doug also regularly assists closely-held businesses in a wide variety of contexts including business formation and organization.
About Fourscore Law
Fourscore Business Law handles the majority of our clients’ work internally. Our experience serving as outside general counsel for our clients allows us to efficiently work with highly-talented lawyers outside our four walls, when necessary, to deliver an excellent customer experience that entrepreneurs, investors, and business people love. The team is in growth mode, and we intend to retain the Fourscore Principles as we expand.
THE FOURSCORE PRINCIPLES:
- Understand who you are. Fourscore is a customer service company. We just happen to be lawyers. Fourscore lawyers build relationships, not client lists. Serving our communities is a way of life, as is living responsible and sustainable lives with our families, clients, and co-workers.
- Understand your environment and find a pain point.
- Clients and lawyers alike hate the billable hour. Ruthlessly stamp it out of any situation in which it isn’t absolutely necessary.
- Lawyers are notoriously slow and unresponsive. Be proactive with communication.
- Business people hate it when lawyers (a) make things more complicated than necessary and (b) talk down to them. Do the opposite – use Lincoln’s “fourscore principle” to make the complex understandable. Be approachable.
- Do excellent work. Whether we are representing a Raleigh tech startup, a small business in Durham or a venture capital fund investing in a Silicon Valley company, Fourscore lawyers take every opportunity to use our experience, training and common sense to do our best work, every time.
- Provide value in unexpected ways. Fourscore Business Law leverages useful technology to increase efficiency in our workflows and make life (and business) easier for our clients. We love connecting clients and friends, helping our community build their work together.
- Be mission-driven. Our mission is to be the law firm that changes the public perception of lawyers.
Through our extensive experience working with entrepreneurs, investors, and business owners, we understand that predictable pricing is important and that helping our clients budget for legal services is part of our job. To that end, we offer flat-rate pricing on many projects and when we must bill by the hour, we always provide good faith estimates and commit to keeping our clients up-to-date on their legal spend. Just like Honest Abe. Based in the Research Triangle region of North Carolina, Fourscore Business Law serves entrepreneurs and businesses in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Wilmington, Charlotte and throughout the Southeast. We also represent venture capital funds and other investors who invest in companies located in New York, Silicon Valley and everywhere in between.
Crowdfunding, Equity Financing, Fundraising, ICOs/Cryptocurrency